Physical health for seniors encompasses more than just the absence of disease. It also involves maintaining an active lifestyle to improve physical and mental well-being. HealthCare Partners is committed to helping all of its patients lead healthy, active and fulfilling lives.
As we age, the level of care needed to stay healthy changes. Our providers recommend the following activities to help seniors stay in shape:
• Walk at least three days a week for 30 minutes per day. You can gradually work up to walking five days a week.
• Keep up with daily activities, such as gardening and cleaning.
• Set goals and visualize yourself reaching these goals to stay motivated and improve exercise performance.
• Exercise with a friend or family member to encourage each other to live a better lifestyle.
• Join an exercise group or try water aerobics at a local gym or recreation center. These venues provide an air conditioned place to stay out of the heat during the summer months.
• Strength train to help improve balance and strengthen the knees and back. This can assist in preventing falls by keeping your body strong.
In addition to helping seniors stay healthier longer, physical activity comes with several other benefits which include:
• Weight Control
• Reducing the risk of Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, and some Cancers
• Strengthening bones and muscles
• Improving the ability to do daily activities and maintain independence
• Lowering blood sugar and blood pressure
• Increasing chances of living longer
At any age, it is important to talk to your doctor before starting a new exercise or diet plan. The physicians and care coordinators at HealthCare Partners are available to create a routine that is specifically tailored to your needs. Talk to your health care provider today about how you can start increasing your physical activity.